The Navigator — Jade Breastplate
Born in the Solomon Islands, Steven Gwaliasi has lived in New Zealand for over 20 years. He is influenced by both his heritage and the landscapes of New Zealand’s west coast. His artwork traverses the mediums of sculpture and jewelry making, utilizing New Zealand gemstones such as pounamu (jade).
He has participated in many sculpture symposiums, now teaches at local educational institutions and runs carving workshops from his studio. His works often include Solomon Island and Melanesian motifs, including the frigate bird, ancestors and voyagers. Steven’s jewelry has been widely exhibited in New Zealand and his works can be found in private and public collections worldwide.Show More
- New Zealand nephrite jade, Australian black jade, plaited polyester cord
- Frame sizes 15” x 15” x 1”
- Breastplate sizes 5.5” x 5.5” x 0.5”
- Due to the nature of this piece, we may need to apply an additional layer of shipping and handling costs that will not be reflected on the checkout screen. Please see Shop FAQs to learn more.
Shipping + Pickup
We offer international shipping, or free in-store pickup. Please see our Shipping Questions FAQ for more information.
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh