Traditional Smudge Kit
This traditional smudge kit is handmade in Jessica Silvey's Indigenous-run weaving studio, Red Cedar Women. It contains a beautiful red abalone shell, a naturally shed Canada Goose feather and medicinal plants all gathered in her traditional territory.
Smudging is done by placing plant leaves or stems in a shell or bowl and igniting them with a wooden match. The flames are gently blown out and the smoke which heals the mind, heart, body, and soul is gently fanned over the person with a feather or by hand. Smudging can clear negative energy from rooms and homes and cleanses the space with new, positive energy.
Jessica Silvey is from the Sechelt Nation. Born in Egmont, BC, she’s a self taught weaver of Coast Salish and Portuguese descent. Silvey says, "Many of my childhood hours were spent with my paternal Grandmother in the forest. It is my favorite place to be, surrounded by cedar trees and silence. I have learned traditional techniques from research as well as trial and error. I harvest and prepare my own materials. When I am ready to weave, the most time-consuming work has been completed. Weaving is my passion and therapy for my soul."
This Kit is gathered and put together by hand and features:
- (1) Canada Goose feather
- (1) Red abalone shell
- Sage - which brings clarity, deepens intuitive abilities, and removes unwanted energy. It cleanses balances and strengthens.
- Cedar - for renewal, protection, and grounding. It cleanses and empowers you with spirit.
- Devils Club - which protects, cleanses, and strengthens the body and the spirit.
- Wild Rose - for protective charm. Purifying.
- Lavender - brings peace of mind, relaxation, and happiness. It balances and connects you to earth and spirit.
- Licorice Root - which wards off cravings and strengthens the immune system.